November 8, 2014 – The Western PA chapter of the National Pancreas Foundation hosted its 2014 Pancreas Fair in collaboration with the Allegheny Health Network.
This educational event provided a unique opportunity for patients and their loved ones to talk one-on-one with physicians and professionals covering a wide spectrum of topics in the field of Pancreas Disease.
“The Pancreas Fair was a big step forward in improving awareness and outcomes in our region related to Pancreas health. I am extremely thankful to all the participants, the National Pancreas Foundation, and the Allegheny Health Network for their efforts in making this interactive event possible in the fight against pancreatic disease”, stated Program Director, Dr.Shyam Thakkar.
Admission was free for this event due to the generosity of K&L Gates, LLP, Celgene, The National Pancreas Foundation and the Allegheny Health Network. Free parking, light refreshments and folders for brochures were also provided.
The following topics were covered by the following by experts:
- Nutrition and Pancreas Function: Katie Farah, MD
- Early Detection and Pancreas Cysts: Manish Dhawan, MD
- Pancreatic Cancer: Athanasios Colonias, MD
- Pancreatic Surgeries: Suzanne Schiffman, MD
- Chronic and Acute Pancreatitis: Abhijit Kulkarni, MD
- Palliative Medicine: Jessica Valleta, MD
- Emotional Support: Patti Skiba
- Nursing Staff: Susan Spitznagel, RN and Deah Davis, RN
- Event Program Director: Shyam Thakkar, MD
Additional tables were represented by Abbvie, Celgene, Our Clubhouse and the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.