Citrus Chicken with Oregano and Cumin
by Sally Sampson
When the lime and orange zests cook they create a sweet stickiness that is almost candy-like. The oregano and cumin add a counterbalancing kick; serve with rice and a big green salad.
4 boneless chicken breast
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
zest and juice of 1 lime
zest and juice of 1 orange
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1. Place the chicken, oregano, cumin, garlic, and zest and juice of lime and orange in a large non-reactive shallow bowl and stir to combine.
2. Cover and refrigerate at least 1/2 hour and not more than one hour.
3. Remove and discard as much of the marinade as possible. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
4. Place a large cast iron or non stick skillet over high heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the chicken breasts one at a time, waiting about 30 seconds between additions.
5. Cook until well browned and cooked throughout.
6. Transfer the chicken to a platter and serve immediately.