Thomas E. Birsic
After losing his sister, Joan Birsic Dawson, to pancreatic cancer at the age of 40, Tom was essential in the development of the NPF, from obtaining its 501©(3) status to raising seed money for the new foundation. Tom has served on the Executive Committee for many years. “I am delighted to watch NPF develop into one of the most comprehensive and patient-driven foundations for those suffering from pancreatic disease,” says Birsic.
Tom has been a lawyer with the K&L Gates law firm since 1979 and recently completed a term (1993 to 2018) as one of the global practice area leaders of the firm’s litigation and dispute resolution practice area and as a member of the firm’s management committee. Tom maintains an active trial, arbitration, and counseling practice focused on a wide range of complex commercial and insurance coverage litigation. He has been inducted as a fellow of both the American College of Trial Lawyers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. For 2021, the United States Lawyer Rankings again selected Tom as one of the Nation’s Top 5 Commercial Litigation Lawyers. He is also regularly (past 10 years) featured in both The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers, USA for bet-the-company, commercial, and business litigation. He is also regularly featured in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration.
In addition to his work with the NPF, Tom has served in the following capacities and received the following recognition;
- Atlantic Legal Foundation (Board of Directors)
- 2017 ADR Champion Award by National Law Journal
- 2014 Recipient of Distinguished Alumni Award from University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County (Past Fellow and Member of Board of Directors)
- Judiciary Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association (Former Chairman – 2002-2003; current member)
- Judicial Merit Selection Committee (Officer)
- Board of Directors of the United Way of Allegheny County (Member: 1999-2011 and Member of its Governance Committee)
- American Heart Association – Executive Committee for Heart Walk Campaign
- Collaborative Alliance for Pancreatic Education and Research (Board of Directors and Chair of Executive Committee)
- In 2003, Catholic Charities presented Tom with its Caritas Award for Service in recognition of his public service in the area of law.